Thursday, November 25, 2004

Journalistic Integrity in the Ukraine

from Neeka:

On Channel 1 (UT-1), the main state channel, 237 journalists are on strike now. Today, during the 11 am newscast with live translation into the Sign Language, the translator, Natalya Dmytruk, did not translate what the host was saying about the election results, but said the following (quote via Ukrainska Pravda):

The results from the Central Election Commission have been falsified. Do not believe them. Our President is Yushchenko. I am very disgusted that I was forced to translate the lies until now. I'm not going to do it anymore. I'm not sure if I'll see you again.

The program Dmytruk was translating for is the only news program in Ukraine adapted for people with hearing impairments. The audience is about 100,000 people. Dmytruk has now joined her 237 striking colleagues.


237 striking journalists? Whole city councils recognizing Yuschenko? Thousands of people camped in the streets? And the Supreme Court nixes the swearing in pending a hearing?

Call me an optimist, but this looks promising for the good guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home