Tuesday, December 28, 2004

A Modest Proposal

In reading about the efforts to aid tsunami victims, I run accross this quote:

Egeland, the UN's undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief, has called for a major international response -- and went so far as to call the U.S. government and others "stingy" on foreign aid in general.

"If, actually, the foreign assistance of many countries now is 0.1 or 0.2 percent of the gross national income, I think that is stingy, really," he said. "I don't think that is very generous.

"We need rich countries, rich individuals, even only those of us who are reasonably affluent to respond generously," Egeland said.


God that gets under my skin. If I met this guy on a street corner... well, I wouldn't know who the hell he is... but if I did know - I'd slug the sonofabitch. Who the hell are you to claim dominion over the product of my labor? Am I your slave?

At the same time, it's hard not to see the need for generousity here, and the enormous resources that will be required to assist the people devastated in this catastrophe. And certainly America CAN help. Yet, arrogant, pompous, self-important bastards like this should be foraging berries and living in a straw hut in the north of their home countries, wrapped in a bearskin shawl and boiling tree bark for tea. So how to accomplish the seemingly opposing goals of putting this jackass and his gang of anti-American, anti-capitalist, one world government thugs in their place while helping the relief efforts in Asia?

Well, our contribution to the UN in the year 2003 was $341 million. Since I share in Mr. Egeland's concern for the welfare of the victims of the disaster along the rim of the Indian Ocean, I would like to see the money allocated in this misguided effort at an international police force for the fiscal year 2005 redirected immediately to relief efforts in affected countries. They certainly will find much better use there, and are less likely to find their way into the pockets of murderous dictators and anti-American bureaucrats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home