Sunday, February 06, 2005

Billy Penn's Curse Lives On

with the Eagles 24-21 loss to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. I suppose I'm partly to blame since I in fact work in an office built higher than William Penn's statue on city hall:



The city has not won a championship since highrises taller than the staute have been built. The superstitious among us believe it's not a coincidence. Whatever the reason, there are Philadelphians of legal drinking age who weren't born the last time the city saw a professional champion. The Eagles just concluded the 86th consecutive professional season of the four "majors" in Philadelphia without a champion. (85 if you discount the cancelled World Series). Yeah, I know, wah wah wah...

On a positive note, let's compare and contrast this year's halftime show of Sir Paul McCartney with last years debacle with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, shall we? First time I was actually interested in the halftime show ever. McCartney didn't disappoint.

And props to the Patriots, who, if they weren't beating the Iggles, would be a team I would love. Bruschi, Brady, Harrison, and even the mellowed by winning version of Cory Dillon are a classy bunch. I can't find myself hating them as I once did the Leon Lett, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders types in Dallas the last time we saw a team this successful.

End of sports commentary until they officially cancel the NHL season. I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home