Friday, March 18, 2005

I Nominate This Guy for Mayor

From today's Inquirer:

A leading gun-control lobbyist said yesterday that Mayor Street's proposal to impose a moratorium on concealed-weapon "carry permits" would not do much to reverse the sharp spike in homicides.

The same sentiment was voiced by city residents sitting in a crowded office awaiting the police interview required to obtain a carry permit.

"All the crime going on, none of those people have permits," said a 30-year-old North Philadelphia forklift driver, a father of two, who declined to give his name because he did not want neighbors or coworkers to know he was seeking a permit.

"I get up to go to work at 3 a.m... . I don't want my son to see me lying in a casket."


The forklift driver has a better grasp of logic than John Street.

About 28,000 Philadelphians already possess carry permits, according to Street. That is a relatively small proportion of the total number of people who own handguns. About 250,000 handguns a year are sold in Pennsylvania, according to state police data.

Police did not immediately respond to a request for data on how many people charged with murder had legal permission to carry a concealed weapon.


Gee... you'd think the mayor would have that information at his fingertips before suggesting a major policy initiative. Wonder if the Inquirer contacted his office about this information.

Many of the city's fatal shootings involve disputes between people with criminal records, which makes it illegal for them to own a gun, let alone possess a carry permit.

No kidding? You don't say?

Props to the Inquirer for putting out an article that doesn't necessarily approach the subject from the formulaic leftist perspective.

And it's good to hear that the law-abiding citizens amongst us are arming themselves. Hear that thugs? That's the sound of the people refusing to take it anymore.

3 Comments:

Blogger TheBitterAmerican said...

I may have said this before on your blog, so forgive the repetition:

I have several handguns and rifles and I have a CCW permit.

I also have common sense enough to know what actions follow the use of my handguns and common sense enough to know better than to a) wave my guns around sereptitiously, and b) solve my problems with my guns.

Can someone teach this knuckle-dragging "urban" kids the same thing?

I think Bill Cosby's trying, but some NAACP types have been telling him to shut up! WHY???

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knuckle-dragging "urban" kids?

Warms the collective heart of Philadelphians everywhere to know that local racism is alive and well in the blogosphere.

1:47 PM  
Blogger TheBitterAmerican said...

I'll make 1 comment and stop there, so as not to bother Roxie.

Hey "anonymous," come over to my blog, grow a set and make that comment again, using a name.

If I'm such a racist, why do I support people like Bill Cosby and Condi Rice?

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home