Thursday, December 09, 2004

Victory?

Discoshaman is calling it that.

I'm not convinced. The orange revolution has secured some reforms that they feel will lead to a more honest vote tally on the 26th, and a Yushchenko presidency. In exchange, however, they have agreed to weaken his powers.

Looks to me like the beautiful and fiery Yulia Tymoshenko is the one with the gonads around here, though:

Yuliya Tymoshenko, the blonde billionaire who has been at Mr Yuschenko's side throughout the crisis and had been a candidate for prime minister, slammed the compromise as a capitulation. "This is a victory for Kuchma," she said. "This vote helps reduce the powers of a president Yushchenko... We could have won without it."


Here's your link to the story.

Of course, it's easy for me to criticize. I'm sitting here in Philly, where our biggest issue of the moment is another SEPTA meltdown. I'm not the one parked out on a frozen Ukraine street for half of December, and I'm not the one who'd be sitting on the verge of civil war, refusing to compromise.

Still, my sense of justice is bothered by the fact that the powerful cheated, and now will get some positive gain out of it. I'm probably way too hardheaded.

The election is now slated for December 26th. We'll see if these reforms have the desired effect then.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! This is Discoshaman. . .

Just a quick note that I'm going to elaborate on what I mean by "victory" manana, when I have the energy to keep my eyes open. I think that anyone focusing on just the parliamentary or even electoral details is missing the true picture. But, more on that later. . . :)

7:08 PM  
Blogger soulpole66 said...

I look forward to reading it. I can't thank you enough for your coverage, Disco. Your perspective has been invaluable to understanding what's going on over there. I'm jealous, really. The last couple of weeks must have been incredibly invigorating.

You are now, of course, expressly forbidden from ever abandoning your blog. Consider yourself bookmarked, my friend. I'll be checking in regularly.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home