Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Day Three

Still folks camped on the main square in Minsk. Check Robert Meyer's writeup at Publius Pundit. Milenkevich is calling for a rally on the 25th. I don't know if that's the best strategy. I fear whatever momentum there is may be exhausted by then.

The reports give the indication that the gathering in dwindling, but the pics posted by Charter97 sure make it look like they are still going strong. Let it not be said these folks don't have fortitude. It ain't exactly the best weather for a camp out. Combine that with the officials preventing folks from going out or in with food or hot beverages and you've got people who have earned my admiration.

And if I were rich, what would I do with my money? I'd find out who these folks are and pay their tuition in another country.

UPDATE: Ivan Lenin reports that people who can actually do something are way ahead of me:

On March 30th in Warsaw, presidents of Europe's biggest universities will meet to discuss accepting Belarusian students who got kicked out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ivan Lenin said...

Thanks for covering the events in Belarus, Rox, and for the linking. the situation is very tough, but when I tell folks in Belarus that ordinary people around the world are watching them, it lifts their spirit a bit. Long live Belarus!

10:33 AM  
Blogger soulpole66 said...

Well, I have a personal interest... but i DO think that more folks than before are watching after this week. A decent showing on the 25th that calls attention to the situation would be tremendous. The more eyeballs this gets, the less Lukashenko can do without repercussions.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home