Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Inquirer Gets It Right Again

John Baer in the Inquirer today lets Mayor Street know exactly what he thinks of welcoming supporters of convicted cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal:

So I ask the mayor about this yesterday and he starts in with an excuse about how he wasn't there and doesn't know the details and if the slain policeman's widow wants to call he's happy to talk with her and so on.

I simply ask, "Wasn't it a mistake?"

And he goes off about how it's routine for international visitors to get gifts from City Hall and I'm thinking, yeah, but these are not routine visitors, these are people calling for the freedom of a man who murdered a city police officer, and I ask, "Why not just admit it was a mistake?"

Because, he says, "I don't want to criticize people who are trying to do the right thing."

Really? Well, Mr. Mayor, that's part of leadership. In fact, I'd say criticizing people who are wrong, especially when they work for you, is a big part of leadership.


Damn straight. And thanks for saying so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home